Continuing on the theme of nontraditional wedding gowns, we thought it would be fun to take a look at some celebrities who turned up on their big days in something a little unexpected. Last month, we talked about how white wedding dresses first rose to popularity after Queen Victoria’s marriage to Albert of Saxe-Coburg. These celebrities didn’t feel the need to become a part of that fad:
- Sarah Jessica Parker married longtime love Matthew Broderick in 1997. But instead of white, Parker wore a black non-traditional gown. She says she didn’t want to bring attention to the wedding, but today regrets the decision. “I’d wear a proper wedding dress [if we ever renew our vows,” she said. “Like I should have worn that day.”
- Gwen Stefani married Gavin Rossdale in 2002 wearing a pink and white ombre dress. And unlike Parker, Stefani did it just to be different and “over the top.” But that’s no surprise coming from the pop star.
- Ellen Pompeo wed hubby Chris Ivery in 2007 wearing a black Yves Saint Laurent cocktail frock. The ceremony took place at New York City Hall with only Mayor Bloomberg in attendance.
- Amber Tamblyn and comedian David Cross got married in 2012, with Tamblyn sporting a bright yellow lacy wedding dress. The dress color complemented the wooded location of the ceremony perfectly, a low-key wedding to be sure.
- Dita Von Teese married Marilyn Manson in 2005 wearing a royal purple Vivienne Westwood gown. Made of an ample amount of taffeta, Von Teese was truly a sight to remember.