In the wake of the wonderful Kate Winslet’s secret wedding last month to businessman Ned Rocknroll (yes, that’s really his name—or at least it’s what he changed his name to from Abel Smith), we’re reflecting back on celebrity weddings that have caught us by surprise in the past few years.
Paparazzi and the media are notoriously good at invading the private lives of celebrities, so getting the whole thing off without anyone knowing about it is an achievement worth noting. Here are ten celebrity couples who’ve managed to do so:
- Blake Lively & Ryan Reynolds tied the knot in September of 2012
- Beyonce and longtime boyfriend Jay-Z finally got married in 2008
- Natalie Portman & Benjamin Millepied are engaged… that’s all we know.
- Chris Pratt & Anna Faris got married in July of 2009
- Clare Danes & Hugh Dancy said “I do” in 2009
- Penelope Cruz & Javier Bardem said their vows in July of 2010
- Renee Zellweger & country singer Kenny Chesney wed in 2005
- Rachel Weisz & James Bond… er, Daniel Craig got married in June 2011
- Ben Affleck & Jennifer Garner have had three children since their big day in 2005
Heading into 2013, we’ve already got a shortlist of highly anticipated weddings that are planned: Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston & Justin Theroux, Jessica Simpson & Eric Johnson, Elizabeth Hurley & Shane Warne, Miley Cyrus & Liam Hemsworth, and Britney Spears & Jason Trawick. We’ll soon see who manages to keep the big day a big secret.